Executive Board and Subcommittees
The Chancellor’s Committee on the Status of Latinos (CCSL) plays an important role addressing issues that impact Latinos. CCSL works proactively on the recruitment/retention of Latino students, faculty and staff, and support of Latino efforts on campus and in our communities. The Committee has taken a leadership position in enhancing cultural diversity on campus and bringing about a greater awareness of Latino assets through cultural, educational and political events.
We plan to welcome our new 2016-2017 Executive Board in Summer 2015, stay tuned!
Aixa Alfonso, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Co-chair
Theresa Christenson-Caballero, Graduate College, Co-chair
Miguel Alba, Community Relations
Marta Ayala, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
Ines Sahagun Bahena, Environmental Health and Safety Office
Ruben Bautista, Student, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
Rosa Cabrera, Rafael Cintrón Ortiz Latino Cultural Center
Luis Duarte, Latin American Recruitment and Educational Services program (LARES)
Lorena Garcia, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
P. Melissa Hernandez, College of Medicine
Elizabeth Herrera, School of Public Health
Mario Lucero, Rafael Cintrón Ortiz Latino Cultural Center
Sandy Magaña, College of Applied Health Sciences
David X. Marquez, College of Applied Health Sciences
Ramona Meza, Student, College of Education
Paola Z. Morales, College of Education
Claudia Telles, Office of Career Services
Hugo Teruel, Latin American Recruitment and Educational Services program (LARES)
Priscilla Vasquez, Student, College of Applied Health Sciences
The Chancellor’s Committee Sub-Committees:
- Faculty Sub-Committee: Addresses issues such as the inclusion of Latinos within academic and administrative searches, employment, promotion and tenure.
- Student Recruitment and Retention Sub-Committee: Contributes to increasing access to higher education opportunities for Latinos and the inclusion of the Latino perspective in the curriculum leading toward successful graduation.
- Employment Sub-Committee: Serves to improve employment and advancement opportunities for Latinos.
- Community Liaison Sub-Committee: Develops and enhances relationships and commitment between UIC and Latino communities of Chicago and Illinois
- Latina Network Sub-Committee: Serves to improve employment and advancement opportunities for Latinas.
Each Sub-Committee is charged with coordinating the Committee’s work in its area.